2013 Legends Meet
Saturday, October 5th, 2013 Trumbull County Fairgrounds
PRESENTED BY: Maplewood High School
The goal of The Legends Meet is to:
- offer the athletes a fast, accurate course with good competition and awards
- honor the legends of the sport who will be presenting awards to the athletes
- provide athletes a link to Ohio's great history in cross country by meeting The Legends
The 2013 Legends
Collegiately, Bridget competed at Penn State where she was a 10-time NCAA All-American. Franek capped off a star-studded four years at Penn State with a NCAA Division I title in the 3,000-meter steeplechase at Oregon's Hayward Field in June of 2010. While running for the Nittany Lions, Franek set six Penn State school records: in the 3,000 steeplechase, the mile, the indoor 1,600, the indoor 3,000, the 4x1500 and the DMR. In 2007, she was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year and she won the 3, 000 steeplechase at the prestigious Penn Relays. In the spring of 2009, Franek finished third at the USA Track and Field Championships and earned a spot to run at the IAAF World Championships in Berlin.
In 2010 Bridget moved west to Eugene to join Oregon Track Club. Bridget raced internationally for OTC from 2010-2012 in Stockholm, Paris, South Korea, Rome and Nice France preparing for a run at the 2012 Olympic Games. Bridget finished 2nd in the Olympic Trials Steeplechase to qualify for the US Olympic Team. She advanced to the Olympic Steeplechase Finals where she finished 14th place. Bridget has personal best times of: 800m-2:11.6, 1600m-4:38.63, 3K Steeplechase-9:29.53 (6th all-time US list), 5000m-15:46.08. Bridget currently resides in Eugene and continues to compete for OTC.
Bob Lunn - A 1974 graduate of Fitch High School in Austintown, under the guidance of Coach Mike Garcia, Bob was an outstanding athlete specializing in distance races. His best times while in High School were 1:58 (880yds), 4:18 (mile), 9:07 (2 mile indoors) and 9:11 (2 mile outdoors). Bob was the Ohio State Champion his junior year in both State meets in Cross Country and the 2-mile in Track.
Bob attended college in the fall of 1974 at Mount Union College where he led the team to a Division III National Cross Country title with a personal 4th place (All American) finish. He then attended Bowling Green State University from spring of 1974 - 1979. While at BGSU his best times were 13:58 in the 5K, 4:05 in the mile and 8:54 in the 2 mile indoors. Bob was the 1979 MAC champion in both the 5k and 10K and the 1979 Central Collegiate 5K champion. He anchored the Distance Medley Relay team at the 1979 National Indoor Track Championships, running the mile in 4:05 and achieving All American honors. He served as the Captain of the Bowling Green Cross Country team in 1979.
Post college he was a member of the Frank Shorter Racing team while living in Boulder Colorado. He was employed by Frank Shorter Sports from 1979 to 1982. During this time he ran 2:24 in the marathon. Bob was inducted into the Ohio Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches Hall of Fame in 2008 and the Austintown Fitch High School Hall of Fame "first class" in 2008.
Bob is a retiree of Microsoft where he worked for 10 years in various financial positions including General Manager of Financial Services and Operations Controller. Currently Bob and his wife Lynn reside in Palm Springs, California.
- 2007 - Ann Henderson and Mark Croghan
- 2008 - Patty Metzler Champney and Alan Scharsu
- 2009 - Rachel Sauder Kinsman and Scott Fry
- 2010 - Maggie Infeld and Ricky Pittman
- 2011 - Briana Shook, Bob Schul, Harrison Dillard and Bernice Robinson Holland
- 2012 - Marc Hunter, Harrison Dillard and Bernice Robinson Holland
The 2013 Legends Cross Country Meet Information
Date and LocationSaturday, October 5th, 2012. The meet will be held at the Trumbull County Fairgrounds (4181 Hoagland Blackstub Rd. Cortland, OH). The Fairgrounds offer an excellent facility for cross country meets. Ample parking, sheltered seating and restrooms are available to complement a fast, spectator-friendly course. Maplewood HS will be the host school for The Legends Meet.
AwardsThe top three teams in the high school races and the top two teams in the middle school races will receive team picture plaque awards. The top 7 members of the winning high school teams and the coach will receive individual awards. The top 25 individuals in the high school races and the top 15 individuals in the middle school races will receive individual awards. Individual champions in each race will receive picture plaques of them. Team awards and the award for individual champions for each race will be presented by "The Legends" in front of the grandstands 1 hour after the scheduled start time of each race. Individual awards are presented at the finish of each race.
Any school may enter the meet through Baum's Page next fall.
Ohio Alumni State XC Championsips - New this year, The Legends Meet is hosting the 2013 Ohio Alumni State XC Championsips... State Championship and State Runnerup Trophies presented top two Ohio Alumni Teams, Info Here:
- $75 HS Boys (unlimited entries; $10 per individual if less than 7 runners)
- $75 HS Girls (unlimited entries; $10 per individual if less than 7 runners)
- $50 MS Boys (unlimited entries; $10 per individual if less than 5 runners)
- $50 MS Girls (unlimited entries; $10 per individual if less than 5 runners)
* You may enter an additional "B Team" to compete in the varsity race for an additional $25 per extra squad. Extra teams will be permitted only as space allows in each varsity race.
* Each coach submitting a full squad into any one of the four races will receive a coaches gift.
* PLEASE NOTE - Entry fee checks MUST be made payable to: Maplewood Running Rockets and be mailed to:
Attn. Mark Yoder
Cortland, OH 44410
Schedule of Events
|8:00||Ohio Alumni State Meet - Men and Women combined Open 5K Race with Team Scoring and Awards|
|9:00||Jr. High Boy's Race - 2 mile|
|9:30||Jr. High Girl's Race - 2 mile|
|10:00||HS Division III - High School Boy's Race - 5 kilo|
|10:30||HS Division III - High School Girl's Race - 5 kilo|
|11:00||Presentation of The 2011 Legends / National Anthem|
|11:20||HS Division II - High school Boy's Race - 5 kilo|
|11:50||HS Division II - High School Girl's Race - 5 kilo|
|12:30||HS Division I - High school Boy's Race - 5 kilo|
|1:00||HS Division I - High School Girl's Race - 5 kilo|
|1:40||Boy's Open Race - All Divisions - 5 Kilo|
|2:10||Girl's Open Race - All Divisions - 5 Kilo|
Team awards will be presented in front of the grandstands 1 hour after the scheduled start time of each race.
Points of InterestWe will be using the IPICO Chip Timing System - a chip that is attached to the runner's shoe. There will be a bullpen area at the finish of the race where water will be available and chips will be collected. If coaches have runners that do not run or do not finish the race, they must turn in the numbers for those athletes at the registration area. Schools will be charged $10 each for missing chip. Runners will also wear a bib number on the front of their singlet that matches their chip number.
Coaches are asked to please cooperate in advance by:
- Submitting rosters online at baumspage.com by at least one week prior to the meet.
- Ensuring correct chips are securely placed on runners shoes... and all chips returned after race.
- Times will be available at the 1 and 2 mile marks for each race.
- Concessions and other vendors will be available beneath the grandstands.
- Results will be available at www.gopherarun.com
- Meet T-shirts will be sold at the registration area.
- Restrooms are available under the grandstands and in adjacent buildings.
Submit 2013 Contract (Adobe Reader 8 or newer is required for electronic submission)